Monday, April 14, 2008

Raw Foods and Green Smoothies

Get my updates via eMail: Subscribe to The Progress of Biz

LIW +2.0
Overnight LOSS 0.4

Here is my menu for the day before - this is what I ate:

Breakfast: WW bagel and cream cheese, coffee with half and half
Lunch: (kinda ate breakfast late, and dinner early)
Dinner: Chinese buffet, two times to the Mongolian Grill using shrimp, scallops, squid, zucchini, green onions, onions, cabbage, Kalbi, chicken wings
Snacks: banana, broccoli and blue cheese dressing, beer

A total of 1753 cals divided: 47 fat grams (24%), 137 carb grams (31%), 153 protein grams (36%)

Raw Foods

My focus recently has been on the benefits of raw foods - you heard me tell this story before, but the more I preach about it and the more people start to listen (including myself) the more I believe in the full benefits of eating "mostly" raw.

I started my challenge today - my goal today will be to eat at least 50% of my food (in weight) raw - with the focus on anything that is "green". I made a little button for us to put on our blog somewhere that shows that we are doing the challenge:


Raw Food Challenge


What would be extra cool is if you went ahead and linked it back to this post so that whoever wants to join in can. I haven't really thought about any 'prizes' - I still owe more than a few people prizes from pasts contests (and don't think I have forgotten because I haven't!) but I am sure they will be forth coming. I just really want to start creating a BUZZ on doing at least 50% raw.

I already provided you with some links to the benefits of 'green', but today, I want to focus in on the benefits of eating 'raw'. Tomorrow, if all goes well, I will be focusing on what are termed "superfoods" - that is quite an interesting topic I tell you!

I guess it pretty goes without saying how beneficial it is to eat raw foods whenever we can. Some of the other benefits of eating raw foods are:
  • Increased Energy
  • Weight Loss
  • Reduced chance of heart disease
  • Better digestion (includes great colon health)
  • Better skin
  • Ease of preparation (one of Regina's favorites)
  • Ease of cleanup (again, one of Regina's favorites)
Now people, I hope you don't think that I have completely gone bonkers with my pushing of 'raw foods' - I am still in the real world, still living the fast paces life that causes one to have to deal with outside influences. All I am doing is trying to get into this body a bit more nutrition so it can last longer. My eventual goal is to go 75% - 85% raw. That would mean pretty much that the only thing I would be eating that was cooked would be my proteins. And even some of that can be 'raw' (can you say SASHIMI???)

Here is an excellent article on Green Smoothies - I am actually drinking one right now, and for the person that has constantly said - I would rather eat my meals than drink them, I am actually enjoying this quite well. I made it with:
  • 3 oz spinach
  • 4.5 oz banana
  • 6 oz of mango / strawberry
If you can get over the green look, the taste is pretty nice. In fact, at first I thought it had sort of an aftertaste, but have now discovered, after consuming about one third of it, that the after taste has disappeared. I have also discovered how incredibly FILLING this is. GOOD GRIEF! After my first smoothie, I do believe I am sold.

You willing to try?

On to my commenter's - these are my responses to yesterday's comments:
Lili - Actually, it's not at all bad, I am very much enjoying my drink this morning!

Mary - Mary, my sweet Mary, eat more RAW! Find SOMETHING you like raw and eat it ok? Make me that promise, I need you to live a long healthy life!

Regina - YES! I knew you would be in my corner! I can't believe it girl, I honestly cannot believe how much I am enjoying this smoothie right now! Thank YOU for making me do the research.

B - try some different salad greens, spinach, spring mix, romaine, all of those are HEALTHY! We will get you on the Green Smoothie kick, I promise you! ROFL - shoot, if I can do it, anyone can!

Crystal - You starting again? WOO HOO FOR YOU! Excellent my friend, totally excellent. I sure hope you keep up with your blog on your progress!

6 Comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Biz you are the woman! You are SERIOUS! yes, RAW food is the way to go for sure! All my meals have been raw spinach. Guess you ARE ready for spring! Woo hoo!

Liz said...

Biz... Look at you! You rock! Great loss there! I agree with you on the raw foods. They are so much more nutritious and so good for our bodies.... I don't know why I have been so off on that lately! I am up of the challenge... How do I link the button on my blog back to your post? Let me know and I will do that. Thanks!

Burcu J said...

Doing good my friend. I will try to give that a green smoothie a shot but I don't promise nothin .. lol
XOXO

Becca said...

Hey I like raw too! I already eat a lot of it. Any time I go to a party that requires me to bring something I always bring raw veggies. It has save my hide many times...
Smoothies though, I'm not a fan but I will give it a try.

maryg911 said...

Very interesting post missy. Those smoothies sound great. Enjoy!!

triplejtb said...

will definitely do the raw foods on my next phase 3...makes good sense

---Jan---

© Blogger Templates | Make Money Online